Re: Hard start when cold

The fuel smell could be from something leaking at the fuel tank when
you fill it up all the way. Try to take notice if it happens when full
or if it smells at any time. Very unlikely the distributer has
anything to do with overheating unless the timming is WAY off and it
would noticably affect performance. On a 20 + year old car you need to
keep a continuing fund for maintainence and repair. Your mechanic who
is "cutting you a break" may charge less per hour but if he isn't
familiar with working on the car will just take longer then he should
so is that a deal? You might be better off in the long run to get the
car to someone who can fix it once and for all. It is really rare
that you need to "rebuild" the distributer. It might help if you can
get your mechanic to talk to one of the Delorean venders for advice on
how to get the car into shape. In 15 min on the phone it could save
hours of labor and $'s in parts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Swoyerzone@xxxx wrote:
> Currently the DeLorean is in shop, the distributor is undergoing a
rebuild.
> The original owner had told me he smelled fuel leaking from the car.
I had
> the taken to a mechanic the 1st week of ownership, to have the
brakes worked
> on. I also asked about the gas, at this time I didn't experience it.
the
> mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it. After a good month or
so I
> started to smell it. but the source was never found. I have switched
> mechanics, the current one has found many problems. all but the cold
start
> and fans have been solved. I'm hoping that its just the distributor,
I bought