Re: [DML] Painted Factory Cars?

I can assure you without a doubt that no cars left Ireland painted. Yes,
indeed they were looking towards doing that and had contracted with DuPont,
but, I have spoken with ex-shipping agents who were involved with getting the
car here (I can't release names, sorry), b/c I myself was quite excited about
the entire deal "wow I have a great collector's item." I know that my car was
indeed painted at the dealer because I have spoken with them about it, this
was an obsession of mine. But sadly, there are just no facts to back up any
painted cars crossing the Atlantic, unless they were sent via a secret
carrier that didn't enter the usual ports. To the contrary there are several
facts speaking towards the impossibility. I will concede that there may have
been work proceeding before the company entered receivership, JZD has stated
that, but it went no further than that early research and maybe the
manufacture of the before mentioned tan parts (which were also used to
produce the gold D's).

Lastly I will quote John DeLorean from the June 1993 interview when he
was asked about painted cars.

JZD--- "Well, it was our intention to make available (painted cars) and we
worked with DuPont to develop a series of paints to the dealers. This is a
very easy car to paint-the panels pop right off, you paint it, run it through
an oven, bring it back out and you've got the equivalent of a factory job,
also very easy to repair. So it was our plan to offer through dealers a
variety of paint colors. Again, that was to be step number two. We had
completed development work with DuPont but we never got around to starting to
sell it."

The way I read this, he states that the paint was to be marketed to
dealers as a step two process, meaning after the fact. But, apparently, it
never got to the selling stage.

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527