Re: holy frazzled speedo cables, batman

On 20-09-2002 12:11, "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxx> n wrote:

> You wouldn't believe what I found in my speedo cable.
> It was becoming unraveled INSIDE the cable.
[snip]
> what happened to my lower speedo cable (it was exactly one year
> old, too). I am uploading a pic to the Files section-- take a look
> at that mess and tell me what you think.

I could be wrong, but it looks like your replacement lower cable is
the culprit; the inner cable is twisted the wrong way, causing the
cable to unwind when in use.

If the inner cable was twisted the other way around it would
actually TIGHTEN itself internally when under stress...

The wobbly AD-cable is quite common and most likely caused by it
being too long. There are a couple of good tips on fixing this
in the archives, it's also a good idea to lube this cable too
when you're doing your yearly AD-lube.
Just remove the wheel and cap and squirt a bit of quality oil
into the hole around the cable...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...