Re: [DML] Painted Factory Cars?

Tom,

Lemme try to explain this the best way I know possible. I'm gonna tell
you a story. In 1997 I bought a "factory painted" Delorean, hehe. Well, I
fell for it, I paid more than I should have for "one of the only five factory
painted Deloreans". It was supposed to be a "prototype experiment". I have
done extensive (exhaustive) research on the subject and come to the one and
only truth in this matter. THERE ARE and NEVER WERE ANY PAINTED DELOREANS
FROM THE FACTORY. Lemme tell you about my car. It's an '82, RED, and it looks
awesome. The paint job is like none other I have ever seen. The door jambs
are painted, the gaps are painted, under surface parts are painted. Here's
the other thing that made me believe the man's story, the titles go back Red
all the way to the original dealership. Also,,,the man who sold me the car
was the chair of the now defunct Appalachian chapter of the DOA mentioned in
many old D World's. So I believed him. Well I have done research upon
research, and I have talked to people who worked at the factory, looked at
all the figures, and read all the books. No cars left Ireland painted. I have
found out that my car was painted at the original dealership. I had to do a
long paper trail hunt to find the original dealer people in Houston. Ok, so
as the way I understand it, this car you are talking about is an 83, in 83
for the most part the company was in receivership. It wasn't churning out
prototypes, it was selling old stock to repay debts. There wasn't much R&D
going on if you follow. Lastly, don't be fooled by great paint jobs, the car
was designed to have the exterior disassembled practically with a wrench and
a screw driver, providing excellent opportunity to paint it.
My advice, if you like the painted car, buy it, unless it was painted
b/c it was wrecked (look for tale tell signs). Don't pay more for it however.
You can tell this man with authority that his car isn't factory painted, and
if he wants he can email me. I have a friend that just bought a beautiful
black 81. It looks great, and as I have learned it is great fun to stick out
amongst a group of cars that stick out.

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527