Re: angle drive ring clip

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Rustproof" <Rustproof@xxxx> wrote:
> Where exactly does the "ring clip" go?

Have a look in your parts mannual, section 5-1-1 item 14
They call it a Retaining Ring part# 106938.

This ring is to be clipped into the recession at the tip of the
AD-housing, you have to compress it to slip it into the
Adapter nut. When you push in the AD tha spring slides
through the nut and opens up when it's all the way in,
so the AD doesn't come off when pulled on.

This brings me to another question I saw on the list that
didn't get answered: removing the drive from the nut.
To do so you have to remove the nut with the drive from
the back of the steering knuckle. You can create more
room to work in by removing the tie rod from the knuckle;
when this is loose you can turn the knuckle giving you a
lot more room to work in AND more space for torqueing
it all up again properly!
Take care with the tie rod ends; they have a tapered fit!

Now with the AD and nut removed lay the assy flat on the
back of the AD with the cable pointing up.
Take two SMALL flat head screwdrivers and carefully pry
the ring up with one driver, while keeping it from rotating
with the other. It took me 15 minutes the first time, now
I can do this in 3... Just go easy, if the ring snaps is no
problem either; you should replace it annyway.

Mail me if you need more info, I might have some pic
I could send you, but I'd have to search for them.

Good Luck,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000