Re: [DML] poor acceleration... maybe she's just sleepy.. fuel and etc.

Re: [DML] poor acceleration... maybe she's just sleepy.. fuel and etc.

Is your car getting enough fuel? In old days classic symptoms were
excessive engine heat and a glowing exhaust system (apparently richer
mixture runs cooler than a lean one). A stopped up car will also idle
and rev OK in the driveway but fail under load.

FWIW: I think #5939 just inhaled a piece of mesh from the fuel tank
pickup, and goodness only knows what else (the lower edges of my fuel
pump boot ARE missing...). Was on the road when it happened. Fuel pump
literally yelled "Yow!" Limped home for autopsy. After pulling out
baffle (hey, aren't there supposed to be FOUR pieces of fabric here?),
fired car up with a piece of nylon over the pump. Whatever has me
plugged is now humming very noisily in the accumulator. At least it's
not on the business side of the filter.

Moral of the story: go ahead, follow everyone else (who are driving
down the road, have you noticed) and replace EVERYTHING in the tank.
IMHO this includes the baffle itself (I'm going to try a John Hervey
sepcial -- will post a verdict later). My own mesh was so brittle it
came apart just being handled between finger & thumb. It's expensive,
but so is bus fare.

At least I'm getting a proper fuel pump from the venture.

Bill Robertson
#5939 (driving around the driveway, but that's about it for now...)