Re: Re: Torsion bar stuck to retainer

>--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Bastiaan Olij <mux@xxxx> wrote:

Dave uses Snap-On -- reportedly the best tools money can buy. To work
around louvers, and give the man loading/unloading the bar room to
swing a four foot lever, he has two mombo extensions (2 plus feet) to
reach beyond the rear of the car. These are held steady in a home made
jig that rests on the Q panel pontoon. Extensions are attached to a
breaker bar, itself permanently attached to a four foot cheater pipe.
Was surprised all this was only 1/2" drive, but it worked. *REMEMBER*
Dave and his assistant repeatedly rap this tool with a hammer to keep
it firmly seated in the torsion bar at all times.

> It didn't come loose, the tool just split right open, broke in two
> parts, never seen anything like it. I'm still very happy it didn't
> damage the back window, although I wasn't to happy with the hole
> in my roof. Luckely we got that fixed.

If the torsion bars are overtorqued the metal plate is already
damaged. Dave reattaches it to the pontoon with sheet metal screws
(pulls most of the distortion out). We're talking about the plate the
retainers attach to, not the retainers themselves.

> Well that is my whole worry, since there seems to be no way to get
> the plate off and lessen the tention in the torsion bars........

Dave slowly and methodically worked the retainer off WHILE TENSION WAS
HELD BY THE MAN WITH THE HEX TOOL. It certainly did not fly off the
splines, but eventually did come loose. MAKE SURE YOUR HEX TOOL
REMAINS FULLY SEATED WHILE YOU DO THIS (Dave's assistant beat back
against the tool every time he pried, like an old chain gang).

The last thing I want to do is speak for someone else, and everything
I say should be given the weight of a novice. Your best bet would be
to contact an experienced torsion bar adjuster directly. He might be
able to give your mechanic enough info to perform the operation
successfully over there. FWIW the key points I observed:
This is not a job for "Made in China"
Keep the hex tool firmly seated in the torsion bar at all times (it
*will* work itself loose)
This is a two person job -- one to work the hex tool and one to
perform the adjustment (good communication between them is extremely
important)
This is a three person job if you don't have something supporting
the door when the torsion bar is unloaded
The hex tool man *must* hold *all* the tension whenever the
retainer is loose from the car
The retainer should slip easily on & off splines on the torsion
bar. If it's tight or even stuck, Dave has a neat trick that will
reset them (you'll have to pull the bar out of the car)
Treat yourself to new retainer bolts as part of the procedure
Again, I'm no expert. Please consult someone who is.

> Luckely I live only 1 hours drive away from a very able mechanic,
> that still doesn't solve our problem for getting the plate loose:
> -(

Stick with it, but be careful. Should you find success, I guarantee
you'll be thrilled with the results. I never realized how important
proper function of my vehicle at rest was to my overall enjoyment of
the car (the parking lot is as important as the freeway).
Bill Robertson