Re: [DML] Re: Torsion bar stuck to retainer

Re: [DML] Re: Torsion bar stuck to retainer

At Monday, 12 August 2002, you wrote:

Hi Bill,

>If I understand Dave Swingle, your problem likely was hex tool not
>seated completely in retainer (obviously came loose once -- lucky you
>didn't crack the back window too).
It didn't come loose, the tool just split right open, broke in two
parts, never seen anything like it. I'm still very happy it didn't
damage the back window, although I wasn't to happy with the hole
in my roof. Luckely we got that fixed.

>Note that over torqued torsion bars will tear the metal plate over the
>back window loose from the car and distort it. Our cars have precious
>little metal in them to begin with -- don't want to mangle what's
there.
Well that is my whole worry, since there seems to be no way to get
the plate off and lessen the tention in the torsion bars........

>I watched Dave's every step. I understood everything he did. And I'm
[...]
>overnight.
Luckely I live only 1 hours drive away from a very able mechanic,
that still doesn't solve our problem for getting the plate loose:
-(

Greetz,

Bas Olij