RE: [DML] Darryl's AC fan mod

> John Yeoman said "With a fanzilla installed, the
> cooling fans will always run with the a/c on."

It has always been my understanding that the Fanzilla cycled the fans on
and off (with sequential delays) as the compressor cycled, and that they
didn't just turn on with the AC Mode Switch and stay running. That is
one of the "benefits" stated for using it - less jerk or kick as the
compressor and fans cycled. The Zilla site says this cycling can occur
about every ten seconds, which is backed up by a comment from DMC Joe
"the DeLorean cycles at about 7 to 11 seconds" and "add Freon until the
compressor cycles within the above mentioned time period".

There are two versions of Darryl's AC Fan Mod. One (in the 'Zine)
replaces the weak fan-fail relay and circuit breaker, and also explains
the continuous-run option.
See page 17 of the Zine ftp://dmcnews.com/pub/zine001.pdf

The second one just explains how to keep the fans running whenever the
Mode Switch is in one of the AC positions.
See http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/coolfan.htm

Keeping the fans on solves the jerking problem, since the fans don't
cycle with the compressor. This mod is also great for slow driving
conditions (like parades) since you can turn on the AC to force both
fans to run - which will definitely keep the engine temp down.

However, if the circuit breaker isn't upgraded, it can overheat and
cycle - causing the fans to cycle occasionally even with the "continuous
run" mod.

I'm not trying to compare Darry's fix to the Fanzilla (or the Fan Fix)
as to which is best. They each approach the problems in different ways.
Cost, benefits, quality, fun, and resale value are all things that
should be considered - in addition to your technical capabilities.

Whichever one you choose, copy the instructions, and keep one set in a
folder, and the other in the relay compartment. Future owners or
service people shouldn't have to guess at what you have modified.

I feel that the cooling fan circuit is one of the most important areas
of the D to get fixed - before you find out the hard way. A lot of the
overheat problems mentioned on the DML would not have happened if one of
these fixes was installed, along with a continuous air-bleed bypass and
occasional checks of the coolant level.

Gary
www.IN2TIME.com