Pacific Rim and John Lane

I had John Lane do some work on my Delorean about two years ago, which
was not engine related. I do not doubt that he is quite good at working
with the PRV, and that he can get a lot of power out of them at a
price. Nevertheless, he does not seem to know much about the REST of
the car. I had a problem with fuel covering the ground every time I
filled up. As it turns out, the clamp holding the fuel pump boot had
loosened up, and the boot was just sitting on top of the tank. I know a
lot more about this now than I did then. Lane charged me over $300 to
"reseat" the boot and fix what he termed the "hack job" done by some
former mechanic (the "former mechanic" was Dana Haglin of Boulder, CO,
one of the most competent Delorean mechanics I've had the pleasure to
employ) on the wiring to the pump. He found that the wires exited
between the boot and the rubber cover, and apparently didn't notice that
there were two GROVES there that they were meant to fit into. He undid
the wiring, and ran them out of the cover through the hole that the fuel
return line goes through - ie, pressed right up against the hose. The
cover was also badly aligned, which caused the fuel lines to put
considerable pressure on the cover. When I got to back to Colorado a
few days later, it was spewing fuel again (the clamp was still loose, I
have since tightened it and never had the problem again), but this time
the cover was ripped through because of the hoses. For that $300, I
would prefer to have had a brand new binnacle without a crack.

After all of these "John Lane is a magician" posts, I just wanted to
share my experience. For more power, he suggested that I spend over
$7000 to make the engine even-firing. Total projected benefit: maybe 20
horses. Geez... I guess it must have been the point of departure on a
VERY expensive HP project.

For anything I can't handle myself (the list is shrinking!), my car gets
its servicing at FAME by Brad Bean in Redmond. Brad seems to be very
knowledgeable about the Delorean qua Delorean, not just the PRV...

Brent Beecher
00893
(To PNDC: sorry guys, just lazy. I'll re-up this weekend... Great
club...)