Quitting and DML reject list

The topics that have flared up over the last few days seem unrelated to the DML's mission
of discussing The Man, The Car, and The Company. However, the DML is also a community,
and members of a community must sometimes discuss their relationships. Hence, threads
like these must come up from time to time and run their course.

Now several people have expressed interest in a DML Reject List.

I have no idea whether this is technically feasible. However, I must caution that the
reject list could have serious unintended consequences. It would be unnecessarily
embarrassing and probably reduce participation in the DML.

A few hours ago I wrote a "Life as a DML Moderator" message. In it I forgot to mention
that I often get *thanked* for rejecting posts.

As I said in that earlier message, the vast majority of the posts which I reject were
written as private e-mails, but accidentally sent to the DML. Obviously these could be
very embarrassing! Many others are email errors by the sender, such as accidentally
posting a message with no new content but a 10 page quote (an entire digest edition).
These things happen all the time. If these flubs were made public a lot of subscribers
would be embarrassed, and no one would really benefit.

-Mike Substelny
DML moderating team