Re: [DML] Towing/Car Transporter

I can shed a little light on this because I have the same issue with a Ford
van I own. It can be rated to pull the load but if it is not on U-Haul's
"approved" list of tow vehicles they won't rent you a trailer. Finally
found a guy at U-Haul that explained this point. Been there and done that.

My vehicle is rated to pull 6000 lbs if I used load distribution or 4000 w/o
(I have a transmission cooler and a 4L engine). U-Haul told me their
trailer was about 2000 pounds (not sure if that is bull or not) and
depending on what you read the D is 2500-3000 lbs. This is what got my hair
raised because I still had a 1000 lb margin with the load distribution but
U-Haul said no anyway.

Next item is just because the tow system is rated for 5000 pounds that does
not me that the vehicle could actually tow that much weight. Things like
terrain, transmission cooling, engine size, brakes, etc... come into play.
You vehicle could probably handle it but not w/o a great deal of strain.
Frequent or long distance trips would probably be a bad idea just because of
the 6 cyl engine alone. Also I imagine you could toast your transmission
fairly easy too.

But hey, U-Haul will be happy to rent you the trailer AND tow vehicle. At
least that's what they told me! :-)

My opinion for all its is worth.
Ed
10541