Re: Door strut debacle

Hi all,
I was going through my receipts the other day because I remember
talking with Rob Grady about this situation on my twin turbo, VIN
#16816. Rob had to replace the ball studs/mounting points on my car
because the car came with these longer struts already installed. The
PO had ordered and installed them and I have the receipt from DeLorean
Motor Company showing when he bought them. They had been on the car
about 3 or 4 years. Rob said they were pretty bent and advised
replacing the ball studs and struts with the correct length, which I
did. He explained that although the currently installed struts still
had a good charge, I could be faced with the same situation if I
reinstalled them on the new mounting points. This wasn't an
acceptable option. True, I could have done this myself for the cost
of parts and shipping alone, but since the car was at Rob's I had him
perform the surgery. The result is no more binding and undue stress
on the mounting points for the door struts, but it came at a price.
Labor rates aren't cheap no matter where you go. It was also
aggravating to have to purchase new struts when the old ones still
were charged and working. This is definitely something I would rather
have avoided but that's how I got the car so I didn't have control
over it. It is not extensively modified, although the purists might
disagree with me....:) (I don't think the twin turbo kit, aftermarket
wheels, or digital dash would have any effect here.) It has never
been wrecked or in an accident.
I don't know if these are the same struts in question but there's
a similarity here. My old struts came from the same place and the
same thing happened to the mounting points. I think everyone should
check these points like you check the TABs. Not only would it be
dangerous if the ball stud broke but it would also be pretty
embarrassing to launch a door only to hear a *SNAP* and have it slam
closed or get damaged on a free-hanging strut. Keep an eye out.

Matthew
VIN #10365
VIN #16816