Re: [DML] Stranded in my Driveway Again...

Sean Mulligan wrote:

> Hey everybody!
>
> Having quite the problem with my D lately. It's a
> huge non-start problem. She only starts when she's
> jumped. The battery isn't dead, in fact it's brand
> new.

How does the car perform when you are not trying to start it. That is, when you just sit
in the driveway with the engine shut off running accessories, or when you are driving
after a jumpstart. If you only have problems at startup, you ought to begin with the
starting circuit.

Does this car have the relay update kit? When I installed the relay update kit, it
significantly increased the power available at startup. My DeLorean is an early 1981.
These are inexpensive and available from your favorite DeLorean parts vendor.

If your relays are already updated, you might check the starter/solenoid. These do wear
out, especially after 20 years. It's possible to have all your current lost through the
starter/solenoid during startup, yet have everything work fine the rest of the time.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280
8 years