Re: putting D in Museum - advice?

If you are going to put it in a museum then I know that the
following will be done (if they follow OSHA standards). All of the
fuel and the battery will be removed and maybe the oil. I don't know
what effect removing all of the fuel from the tank and fuel system
and having it sit for a year will do to the fuel system (IE: Rot out
the rubber in the tank, form rust, etc.), you might want to look
into that. I would recomend that you do draw up a contract stating
that if anything is damaged or stolen (like someone climbing into
the car and swiping the shift knob or something) that the Museum is
to take full responsibility for it. Take LOADS of pictures of the
car before releasing it but take it in the presence of them. Don't
have them display the car with the doors open (put extra strain on
the torsion bar and strut) or you could find yourself replacing the
struts when you return if they do so. If they want to display it
with the doors open then tell them to have someone open the doors of
the car when the place opens and to close the doors when the place
closes. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure others on the
list will come up with other good ideas.

IMHO, I would store it properly by filling the gas tank up and
adding gas stabilizer, change the motor oil, spray Fogging oil into
each of the cylinders (will prevent rust from formng inside the
cylinders), storing it in a cliamate controlled place (if you don't
have a place to store it in), put the battery on a battery minder
(or remove it), put a box or two of baking soda inside the car (keep
it moist free and smelling nice) and cover it. If it was going to be
more then a year then I would suggest to remove the tires and
install some cheap tires on aftermarket rims that would fit the
Delorean (this will prevent the good tires from "egging", become out
of round).

Steve