Re: refrigerant oil, how much?

It is really hard to say just exactly how much oil should be in each
component. It depends on how many times the system has been refilled
with freon, if it is leaky, if it is stored etc. In general you can
ignore the minor amounts in everything except the compressor where
most of the oil is anyway. The procedure for checking the amount of
oil in the compressor is in your Workshop Manual N:10:03-:04. If you
are replacing the compressor go to N:10:12. While it is true that the
oil circulates around the system the bulk of the oil is supposed to
stay in the compressor for the obvious reason, lubrication of the
moving parts. The other parts of the system don't require lubrication,
they just allow the oil that escapes from the compressor to return to
it. On the subject of refrigerent oil if you are checking the level
two other very important things to check are color and PH. Color is
easy, PH requires a test strip like you use on a pool. If you have a
leaky system and moisture got in it wrecks the PH and will cause
corrosion. In general it is best not to add oil but to just remove it
all and replace with fresh that way PH isn't a concern and you are
removing any dirt and contaminates. We are only talking about ounces
here.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757