cooling fans have electric brake?

Tom & I discovered another apparently stupid mistake that the factory made
in our cars. If you use the fan fail bypass and depending on the type of
cooling fan relay you use, you will have either of these two situations:

Situation 1) The fans slowly coast to a stop, and the fan fail light dims
gradually. This means that you have a single throw relay controlling the
cooling fans. When off, the only load left on the fans is the fan fail
light which glows under the power generated by the fans themselves. When
cruising at highway speeds, you may see the fan fail light glow dimly from
the voltage generated by the fans as air blows past them.

Situation 2) The fans quickly stop, and the fan fail light turns off
immediately. This means that you have a double throw relay controlling the
cooling fans. When the fans are not switched on, they are shorted by this
relay.

What's up with this? It puts unnecessary wear & tear on the cooling fans
and restricts air movement through the radiator. If you cut or break off
the 87A spade lug (the center one) on the cooling fan relay then the fans
can spin down gently without a short circuit across the brushes. Of course
this depends on the relay. Some relays already have this spade lug missing.
If it really matters, then why did the factory put a ground at 87A?

Walt Tampa, FL