RE: [DML] Windshield Replacement

Gleb and List,

I had my windshield replaced at a local Safelite shop based on a
recommendation from a trusted body shop owner. I had been told that
Safelite would only install glass that they supplied, but this shop
assured me that they had experience with DeLoreans, and that they would
gladly install a vendor-supplied NOS windshield. I scheduled an
appointment at the shop when the person with experience would be there
(to ensure to ensure that he did the job). I had the windshield shipped
from the vendor directly to the shop.

I was initially pleased with the "quality" of the work. In reality,
they had allowed the front of the t-panel to drop down slightly, and
hadn't completely sealed it. The next time I drove/parked in the rain,
water came in by the courtesy light. I found out when I returned to the
shop, that a different employee had done the work "under the expert's
supervision". They removed the top trim piece, and I put some rubber
shims under the front of the t-panel before they sealed it better and
re-installed the trim. No more leak.

Much later I noticed that the windshield seems a bit recessed at the
top, as if it was installed at a slightly steeper angle than the
original. Since this is where the outer seal meets the door, there is a
slight gap where wind and water can get around it (but not all of the
way into the car). I don't know if there were supposed to be spacers to
hold the glass out to the correct position, but something like that
would have been helpful.

I suspect that the vendors (or the people they subcontract the
installations to) know how to do it right the first time. This is
especially important, because each time the black trim, door seals,
etc., are removed, there is a potential for scratching, bending, or
otherwise damaging these parts.

The bottom line is that even though the local Safelite shop had a great
reputation, and had worked on DeLoreans before, they didn't seem to have
enough experience to know how to align everything right. I definitely
would NOT want anyone without significant DeLorean experience to ever
replace the windshield again. At least not without me there to make
sure they did it right (now that I have "experience"). :-(

Gary
IN2TIME