Lock module

>>A failure mode (not sure how common) of the lock module (in
addition to the relays welding themselves together and burning up the
solenoids)are the 1000uF electrolytic capacitors inside the module.
If either of these fail short the locks actually still work pretty
well, but the steady-state current draw of the module goes up enough
to draw the battery down in a day or so, but NOT enough to blow any
fuses.<<

Right you are Dave. The caps should be replaced as part of the
upgrade, as electrolytics are prone to failure with age and heat due
to their construction technique. Btw, if they truely short they will
blow something (either themselves or something else), the problem you
describe is probally leakage. As for blowing fuses, that feed doesn't
even seem to be on one, at least from my initial inspection.

>>Disconnecting the large red wire won't help, you would have to
unplug the multi-conductor plug to avoid this issue.<<

Right again, although DMC Joe can be excused for believing otherwise
because the schematic shows what he stated. (Btw, even the Zilla
schematic is rife with errors.) The print shows the violet wire
(brown on the car side of the connector) feeding from the load side
of the solenoid breaker. This is incorrect, at least on my car.

>From where it gets its feed is unknown to me at this time (its not on
*any* of the fuses in my car) but you can bet any direct short in the
module will quickly fry it or the wiring. This should be addressed as
it could be a fire hazard and is another example of just how poorly
the car is wired.

Another advantage of using a lower rated CB to feed the lock
solenoids is that the violet (brown) wire can be fed from this
breaker also. This would provide overcurrent protection for the
module and wiring where none seems to exists now. Another advantage
is that installing a pullable CB like the P & B series W31 toggle or
W23 pull type (instead of the W58 I mentioned) one can easily switch
off all the power to the locking system for storage. If not this, the
violet wire feeding the module needs to be put on a small fuse
somewhere.

There are many things that need to be done to the car's electrical
system (things that go beyond the well known fixes) to make it less
of a toaster in the making. For example, adding a fusable link as
close to the main source as possible was one of the first things
I did.