Re: [DML] Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits?

Re: [DML] Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits?

I just chased this goose, my brake master was leaking past the seal at
the vacuum assist. I took the master out and apart to find an amazing
few pieces, it looked like two new rubber and I would be on my way. I
didn't have much luck with this, though.. I went to my local auto parts
store to see if I could get a rebuild or new master cylinder. The master
is made by GIRLING, who is in cahoots with Lucas on some level (great..).
The parts place was not able to find a girling-suggested replacement
part, and said that there was not a rebuild kit available ( to them) so
they were just about unable to help. Another store said that rebuild
kits are expensive, and aren't worth dealing with for the cost of a new
unit. I don't know if I believe that, how much could a few rubber pieces
cost? Perhaps the kits also comes with a new plunger internal part as
well. Then they said that no one really rebuilds because the cylinder
would have to be honed to make sure that the plunger would make a good
seal, and most places don't do that becuase it's not a very thick wall to
be honing.

After this, I decided that it just wasn't worth the trouble of chasing
around the block a few times. Grady and I'm sure other parts vendors
have the new parts and they're guaranteed to fit and not leak. I figure
for the pain of having to fix it, i'd might as well fix it correctly- the
brakes are a pretty important function in the car, and a brake fluid leak
will severely damage the frame if left unattended- first by gelling the
epoxy, then rusting. You can probably get a new brake master at your
local auto store, a GIRLING cross reference number was on the DML just
last week I think..

good luck.
Jim
1537

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:13:07 -0400 hostmaster@xxxx writes:
> I tried to search the DML archives for this, but simply don't have
> the time to bog through page after page of "my individual tastes are

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.