Re: [DML] Re: built-in fire extinguishers

Re: [DML] Re: built-in fire extinguishers

<SNIP>
> Setting up a HALON system in an engine bay is safe and easily done. I
would strongly advise against doing it for the passenger compartment
however. The warning is correct HALON removes oxygen from the ambiant air
and will suffocate the driver. HALON is also MUCH heavier than air, simply
opening the doors would clear the car in seconds.
<SNIP>

Open the doors?! What happens while driving down the highway? The windows
won't cut it! I still just don't see the need for halon in a DeLorean.
This is like shooting down a guard with an ATOM bomb. The problem you are
creating greatly outweighs the problem you are solving. You are trading
fire safety for potential driver blackout. Even if there is absolutely no
passageway to the cockpit from the engine compartment, fires and
detonations can change that quick, fast, and in a hurry. Besides, if a fire
or even an explosion did occur, the damage has already been done and putting
your conciseness at risk is ('scuse the pun) senseless. Co2 or nitrogen
will work just as effectively and still allow you to breath. Co2 can be
displaced with O2, but halon will simply eat it up. Halon is great
technology for racing, aircraft, some boats, and the defense department.
Using it in ordinary automobiles is simply ridiculous overkill. Why do you
think luxury and exotic cars don't even use them?! Be safe, and keep
driving stainless.

-Mike A.

P.S.- Yes, I always just tell it like it is.