Re: strange start problems << I have a similar issue

Re: strange start problems << I have a similar issue

Pull a spark plug wire and see if you are getting a nice blue spark.
In the event you aren't two common things to check are the connections
on the ballast resistors, (those white things on the firewall on the
left side) and the pick-up coil in the distributer. If you have a nice
spark then the problem is fuel related but since you can smell fuel I
think the engine is getting fuel it just isn't "lighting it off".
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> As chronicled in my prior postings, my problem is similar to this.
The
> engine turns over, coughs and coughs, then sputters out.
>
> My initial thought is an electrical failure because of the
abruptness of the
> problem. One day it started fine, drove it about 10 miles, got out
of the
> car, got back in 5 minutes later and it has never started since.
Apparently
> this electrical problem is causing the engine to flood because after
I have
> tried to crank it up, it wreaks of fuel.
>
> As noted in Walter's earlier response, I jumped the RPM relay and
got a good
> loud buzz from the frequency valve. I also checked to make sure the
RPM
> relay is functioning correctly. I need to check the CPR (which is
new), but
> I'm unsure when it should have power. What controls the voltage to
the CPR
> and is it only applied during cranking?
>
> Joe, I also like your idea about the thermo-time switch being bad.
It may be