Re: built-in fire extinguishers

Automatic fire suppression systems are not meant for ordinary cars.
They are really intended for high risk locations like aircraft,
armored vehicles, off shore boats, racing vehicles and the like where
you just can't stop and get out when you have a problem. If you feel
you REALLY need a fire system then go to a racing shop and you can get
a bottle with a remote release to put in the engine compartment. You
can also keep a small extinguisher on the floor by the driver's seat.
That would be good for any small fire, or if the car should turn over
you could put it through the windshield. It would also be useful if
someone else catches fire, a built-in system can only be used on your
car, not someone else's. If you are concerned about fire do constant
inspections for fuel leaks and inspect the wiring and battery often.
Add a battery master switch for emergencies. A little preventitive
effort will remove most of the need for a fire suppression system with
it's weight and complexity.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "tmpintnl" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> Walt - You may want to check in with a high-performance boat shop
> regarding on-board systems. Many "high end" boats have an automatic
> system for the engine bay. These are Coast Guard approved
> (presumably) so they should be good. Regarding Mike's comment, I
> would tend to agree. I believe that Halon works by displacing all
> available oxygen (although I could be wrong) which could prove
> problematic if you happen to be in the car at the time. I have a
> hand-held Halon extinguisher sitting right next to the passenger
> seat. I probably should properly mount it, so that I can reach it
> better in an emergency. Stay safe. BTW - Pricey? If you wanna
> play, you gotta pay.
>
> Toby Peterson VIN 2248
> Winged1 - with freshly cleaned fuses and relays!
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > [MODERATOR NOTE: I hesitate to inject technical criticisms into
any
> subscriber's post, but I've got to caution against installing a
HALON