Re: 3 things appeared

On the Delorean the "mist test" isn't that good. If the secondary
ignition wires are breaking down in the spark plug wells or around the
dust boot you may not see or hear anything. The only ways to know for
sure are
1) remove and CAREFULLY inspect the wires, boots, distributer cap and
rotor.
2) substitute known good parts
3) use an ignition analyzer scope to look for breakdown in the
secondary ignition circuit.
The mist test can only verify that you have a problem, it may not tell
you where.
Another thing to try is to run the motor in the dark (at night) and
with your hands in your pockets look for any blue haze or arcing near
the wires or distributer or ignition coil . Be careful in the dark not
to burn yourself or get caught in the belts. Once you have a spot that
breaks down it just gets worse and worse as it is now the "weak link"
in the chain and electric will always follow the path of least
resistance. This can happen with brand new parts especially if the
wires are not seated on the spark plugs properly or the wires were
streched or otherwise damaged during install. It is also not
impossible for new parts to be defective. Suspect everything until
proven wrong.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Marc A. Levy" <malevy@xxxx> wrote:
> Just because they are new, does not mean they are good..
>
> If one of the wires are rubbing on something, it could wear though
the insulation. That is why on some hi-po cars you see the ignition
wires wrapped in sheath. Inspect the wires, and try the mist test.
Also spray the mist around the distributor, see if you have arching.
It is hard to see, but you may even hear the sparks jump.