Re: One Engine misfires two pistons

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> In another 20 years, more than 1000 DeLoreans
> will be rotting, sorry, sitting in a junk yard for eternity (forgot
> its stainless) because of too many miles, or car crashes. I like
> JZD, and met him in person years ago, but let the car last longer
> than the creator. You must know someone with the heartake of a
> parrent outliving their child.
>
> Thanks so much, and sorry for the ciritizism, I truely love the car
> and have obsessed about it for years.
> Thomas Porter

Don't be worried about interjecting critizism. It is a free country,
and it is nice to have opposing views. Just like Yin & Yang, it's the
friction bewteen opposites that help fuel things to keep progress
going. If we all agreed on every single topic that arose, where would
we get new solutions and improvements from?

It's probably safe to say that there are a few owners out there who
feel exactly the way that you do as well. Store it, or drive it? That
is a question that one does have to consider. I always said to myself,
"When I get my DeLorean, I'll only drive it at night to avoid traffic
and damage to the interior from the sun." I wanted to protect my
DeLorean, and keep it safe from anything that might harm it. Well,
that lasted about 10 hours once I had the car. It's just too fun to
lock up. I realized this right away. Mine WAS a low milage car @ 19K
miles when I first picked it up. Now I'm almost to 37K miles and still
going. I realize that when the time comes, I certainly won't be the
first, but the long term plan for my car is to hit the million mile mark.

But, milage niether makes or brakes a car. If you want to start out
with a car that's a beater, you're more likely to find that car to be
a low milage one. I've seen quite a few low-milage cars that have had
worse damage to them being neglected than if they had been abused. On
top of this, owners seem to keep their cars after about 60-70K miles.
So your goal for a higher milage car to restore may not be as likely
as one with less miles.

As far as DeLoreans ending up in junkyards, don't count on it. Yes,
driving my car daily does pose a risk to it, but even if my car were
wrecked, it could still be repaired. Replace the underbody, the
chassis, and body panels, and viola! DeLorean back on the road! If I
rolled my car, and damaged the spidercage to the point where I
couldn't have gullwing doors any longer, then I guess that I'd end up
with a convertable! But the bottom line is this: As long as there are
DeLoreans out there to restore/repair, there will always be people
willing toget them back on the road. I can't explain it, but there is
something about a DeLorean that makes you want to drive it. Even if
that means restoring it.

But the main question of should one drive a low milage car. This is a
personal choice. So in other words, do what you want! If you want to
drive a DeLorean, but feel guilty about racking up the clock on a
lower one, then stay away from the low milage cars. Otherwise, just
buy the one that's best suited for you and you pocketbook. Now, I do
agree that a few examples of origional cars should be kept. But, if it
does make anyone feel better though, most low milage DeLorean's will
never get to see the road. And that's because owners with these cars
are always trying to sell them at such high prices. I'm not saying
those prices are unreasonable, because if someone does of course
purchase the car, then they agreed that was the fair price. It's just
that those prices are geared twards collectors, and the DeLorean just
isn't a car that collectors are interested in. It's a car for those
who want to drive it. Because of both it's common popularity, and it's
ease of maintenance and repairability, and the long length of time it
was manufactured for, it's not "exclusive" enough for collectors.

What does JZD think of people who are driving their cars? Is he hurt
that low milage cars are being driven? I don't know, nor can I
presume. I do admit though that I have far more respect for JZD than I
do Lee Iacoca. John DeLorean openly supports DeLorean's, and their
owners, unlike Iacoca who denounced the classic Mustang, and it's
owners on an episode of 20/20.

Anyhow, good luck to you on getting your car, you're on your way!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"