Fw: buying a "D"

I cannot thank everyone evough for your knowledge, help, and input. While not an owner just yet, I learned quite a bit about the car from reading the letters. I have found a few owners in the Savannah area, where I live, and learned even more. Once again, thank you.

Now the question. I need to know if this is the right car for my needs. I know that my transmition's days on my '91 Corolla are numbered and within a few years, I will need a new car, or at least another one. Seeing that "D's" are much more accesable than I thought as well as parts and service stations, I have designated this as being my next car. However, someone warned me that using any "D" as a full replacement for everyday transportation is a bad idea. I have thought about saving and buying one refurbished from DMC Houston for some piece of mind. I would like to drive the car without fear of being stranded and having something break when it feels like it, saving myself the agravation of having to buy the parts and service time with old things that just decide to break (I'll take the common problems suck as locks, fans, door struts, speedo angle drives and the such in stride). It seems to me that if one has it serviced on its recomended scedual, (requiring a little more than the average Toyota) things should be fine. Most of the problems I hear about seem to be from neglect.

Am I preparing myself for disapointment, or is this not a bad idea? I usually do put a little more than 10,000 miles on a car a year because of the road trips. Any opinions, insight, facts I may have missed, or even $0.02 comments are apreciated. Once again, thank you all so much for the knowledge and advice.

-Mike A.
VIN # . . . working on that :-)