To paraphrase Nike, Just Drive It! If it's eating you up to not drive it,
then go drive it. It's better for the car and it will be better for you!

-Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: sgskbm [mailto:SGSKBM@xxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 10:50 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Mileage on a Delorean - does it matter?

--- Every one seems to agree that you should drive it but not too
many of the people who agreed seem to have a low mileage car. Since I
do I thought that I would off my personal perspective.

I bought my car with only 7,300 miles on it. I too wanted
to "preserve" the lower mileage "image" of my purchase. The largest
problem for me was service as it was about 250 miles round trip to
have the car worked on and.... the Delorean shop that performed the
work, is well known for never solving any problem on the first,
second, third or even fourth try! As a result my car now has about
10,200 miles on it.

After some careful consideration, I decided recently that if I were
going to purchase a new Delorean, I would not be as concerned as to
weather the car had 4,000, 10,000 or 15,000 miles as long as it had
all of the necessary maintenance to make it road worthy. I have seen
more low mileage cars, including mine that have had significant
problems than higher mileage cars.

I would prefer the mileage to be low enough that the car did not
suffer from wear in the obvious areas. If the seats, interior and
outside condition was maintained and it still looked new, then
anything less than 20,000 miles to me is still low mileage.

I have decided to drive mine, enjoy it and maintain it. Naturally,
since I do own several other cars, I shall try to keep the mileage at
a reasonable level. In my case, 1,500 miles per year would more than
reasonable, would demonstrate that the car is being exercised, kept
in running condition and would allow for significant enjoyment. With
the above formula applied to your car, you would have over ten years
of enjoyment before arriving at the 20,000 mile mark!

Just an opinion....

Scot
6452

moderator@xxxx