Re: [DML] New DeLorean Parts (TAB's specifically)

Re: [DML] New DeLorean Parts (TAB's specifically)

Martin and List - I appreciate the contributions that DMC Joe has made
to the support for the DeLorean. However, if the "quote" below is
true, I must disagree. I have personally changed many bolts that were
bent (and broken) on cars that had been properly maintained in terms
of the TAB's. My car, for instance, got a good visual check and
torque check at every tech session (2 ~ 3 times per year). Mine broke
'out of the blue' at one of those tech sessions. Perhaps you and DMC
Joe can review some of my thesis on the topic. You will find that the
OEM TAB's are most likely yielding a little every time they are loaded
up during driving. The "little yields" accumulate into a situation
where the bolt actually stretches. This cycle will repeat every time
the bolt is tightened, until the material reaches it's elastic limit.
When the material enters the plastic range (a technical term), the
bolt is in the process of failing in bending or ductile fracture. The
OEM bolts will also succumb to corrosion if the yielding doesn't get
them first. I will remind you that 1/3 of those responding to the
poll said that they had experienced bolt bending. I cannot believee
that that many cars are improperly maintained. Of course, the 1/3
that said they didn't know, and didn't care, are the ones that concern
me. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:

> >*Toby-tabs. Very much needed. Why didn't one or two of the vendors
come up and say, Hey we're interested in your project. Maybe they did,
but the DML hasn't heard of it.

> DMC Joe did state categorically that the only time he'd known of a
bolt bending or breaking was when it hadn't been kept torqued.
Noticing the massive difference in the handling of my D when I torqued
mine properly has lead me to think that I'll just take that 5-minute
job on when I can use the 4-poster ramp at the garage (most Saturdays)