Re: [DML] Shocks - vendors and other scammers

Re: [DML] Shocks - vendors and other scammers

I've done some more research. The big problem with rear shocks on the
Delorean is the need for a collar to go around the lower shock body to
support the lower coil spring seat. This is what seems to hold everyone up
and forces them to buy Marty's kit. Well if you look in the current Grainger
catalog on page 365 (BTW their web site is www.grainger.com) , you'll see two
piece steel and stainless steel clamp style shaft collars. The Monroe Napa
unit has a 1 and 3/4 inch lower shock body outside diameter. The clamp you
can get from Grainger would be the 2 piece IL708 in steel or the 2 piece
IL727 in stainless. They are 11/16 wide and should have no problem supporting
the weight of the car. If you're worried use two on each shock. They are also
available in 1/8 and 1/16 inch ID increments so fitting to Gabriels, or KYB's
or Bilsteins should be a breeze. The only other consideration is machining a
groove in the top of the clamp just to keep the lower coil spring seat
centered. But you could do this with a simple spacer or washer if you wanted
to.

Some clarification on the shocks I used. The 94004 Napa gas charged deluxe
is off of a 72 Mercury Marquis. The 94013 is from a 69 Camaro. I have the
94004's installed. They are the correct dimension. The 94013's are probably
the same dimension but different valving. I'll check when I have time, but
common applications indicate it should be the same. I have seen the Gabriel
for the 69 Camaro and it appears to be dimensionally correct. So these should
be the open door to selecting the performance level you want in a commonly
available aftermarket shock.

Front shocks are easy. You need four 1/2 inch wide with 1/2 inch ID spacers
for the front lower shock eye bolts. Use one or two flat washers berween the
spacer and the lower control arm to make up for any differences in lower
control arm width. Lower bolt diameters vary. The Gabriels have a 1/2 inch
diameter. The originals have 14mm. So you can drill out the new shock spacer,
or just use 3 and 1/2 inch long 1/2 inch bolts which is what I did. Use the
Gabriel VST LT Gas Ryder G63902 off a Nissan 1/2 ton 69-81. I just picked up
a pair for $19.00 each at Autozone. Put them in this morning. Nice shock.

The Grainger IL708 in steel is $11.69
The Grainger IL727 in stainless is $38.30
The Gabriel front G63902 is $19.00
The Napa Sensa Track rear NS5803 is $24.95
The Napa Gas Charged Deluxe rear 94004 is $19.95
The Front spacers should be about $1.00 each
1/2 bolts are about a buck each
Washers cost about 10 cents each

Vendors.... Here's your kit....Sell it all for 199.95 and you'll clear a
standard wholesale to retail 40% markup, and I'm sure no one will
complain...As a vendor you could probably do even better with your dealer
buying power. The shock prices above are full retail. What can you guys buy
them for?

Also sell just the mounting kit...clamps spacers and bolts. Then we can buy
the shocks we want, based on the diameter of the shock we choose.
I don't have all the answers, so please help me out if you already know
better about something.
Sorry Marty....But you can still tell us the part numbers you're using. Or we
can go it alone.

Jim 6147