Re: [DML] vendors and other scammers (Long Reply Again)

Re: [DML] vendors and other scammers (Long Reply Again)

In a message dated 6/6/02 11:02:27 PM Central Daylight Time, jwit6@xxxx
writes:

> I've been on the list now for about 8 months. And although I see some
> attempts to share information concerning generic parts and alternative cost
> effective solutions, I also sense a certain amount of hostility from
> vendors
> who seem to think that the list is thier own personal venue, sometimes
> taking
> the opportunity to discredit or squelch alternatives.
>
> I've had vendors approach me and encourage me not to post detail about
> certain things. EFI upgrades for instance. Why? Because they wanted to make
> sure that they had a crack at marketing something of thier own, rather than
> having the owner community know how to do it themselves.
>
> My recent post on shock absorber alternatives for instance. The
> condescending
> nature of a reply, by a member who I believe has a vested interest in
> marketing his own front and rear shock set up is a recent example. The
> front
> shocks, as near as I can tell from their web site are Gabriel G63902 Gas
> Ryder VST LT off a Nissan 1/2 ton 69-81. I just picked up a pair for $19.00
> each at Autozone. The rears are Chevrolet Camaro all with multi-leaf rear
> springs inc. Z-28, 1968-1969 All, Gas Ryder VST 69606 in a Gabriel, or
> Monroe
> Sensa Track/ Napa Gas Charged Deluxe Sensa Track (NS5803), which is what
> they
> appear to be selling. The Monroe Napa units sell for $24.95 a piece. Their
> kit is $284.00 as I recall. So you get 4 over the counter shock absorbers
> worth $90.00, and end up paying an additional $194.00 for two aluminum coil
> spring seat collars (that your local machine shop can fabricate for less
> than
> $50.00) and 4 spacers you can get from the hardware store for less than a
> buck apiece. This is simple gouging.
>
> Needless to say I went into the basement, and spent about an hour at the
> lathe making the ride height adjustable coil spring seat collars I needed,
> from about $4.00 worth of aluminum, and got the front spacers from Ace
> Hardware.
>
> I do have some fears that if I continue to disclose what I learn on the
> list,
> that maybe I'll offend the only vendor that one day has something I need,
> and
> that maybe I'll find myself blacklisted. But if that's ever the case, then
> I'll know the Delorean is a marquee that I'd no longer want to be
> associated
> with.
>
> Here's a suggestion for the vendors. Market a shock spacer and collar kit.
> One for the Monroes and one for the Gabriels. Maybe another for KYB's etc.
> The only diff is the diameter. Sell it for about $39.95 a set. You'll make
> some friends and gain a great deal of loyalty.
>
> Jim 6147

Jim,

Well, first I'd like to say that I am glad to see that the subject line of
your posting has gone from "Rear Shocks" to "Vendors and other Scammers" I'm
assuming you now place me into the category of "Other." You are entitled to
your own thoughts and opinions and it seems apparent from your posting that
I'm not going to change that. All I can say if that if you have the tools and
equipment and posses the knowledge and skills to build a better mouse trap,
then have at it. I'm all for improving things and making them bigger and
better and safer and faster, no problems. But what I see here is not someone
who has done this. What I see is someone who has just taken an existing
product that was developed and has evolved over the years to the point it is
at today, thru the help of many other Delorean owners, and just copied it
because he has the means and skills to do so, and then turns around and tells
everyone on the mailing list how they are getting ripped off by this original
product.
Jim, if this is what you think, then you are more then welcome to do
exactly what you did, make your own. And if you want to make more of these
kits and sell them yourself or even give them away, believe it or not, I
don't care. What I care about is the fact that the information you supplied
in your original posting is not correct, but it seems this discussion has
turned away from that.
I originally developed this kit years ago, before you became involved with
this mailing list. I developed this kit because at the time, the original
supply of Girling replacement shocks were all but gone and none of the
vendors had a replacement avaliable. I was interested in finding an
alternative shock that I could use for my own car. Over a few years of trial
and error and testing and many parts tried and discarded as not being
acceptable, I ended up with a shock setup I was happy with for myself and my
own use. Other Delorean owners saw this setup and asked me if I would make a
kit for their car, and that's what I did. One thing lead to another and the
kit was put up on our club web site so other Delorean owners could gain
access to these parts and information. Since that time, other Delorean
vendors have developed their own shock kits which have now become avaliable.
As owners we now once again have options from which to choose. I just offer
an alternative for other Delorean owners to have if they want it. I do this
to try and help other owners out, believe it or not.
If you think I'm getting rich doing this, then think again. I too, am a
professional engineer and I can tell you I can make 10 times more money
working at my profession for a couple of hours then I can making the parts to
put a shock kit together. If I was doing this as a business, I would have
gone broke long ago.
You talk about the $4 chunk of aluminum you used to make your collars on
your lathe in your basement, but I guess the hour or so it took you to make
each collar is free, huh ? And the lathe must be free also. And the hour or
so it takes to modify the shocks is also free. And then you spend a couple of
bucks for the other misc parts. Oh, and to ship a 15 pound shock kit across
the country must be free also. And this is all to just copy an existing kit.

Sound great to me. Lets see, $90 for the 4 shocks, $4 for the chunk of
aluminum and 4 spacers from ACE hardware at a buck a piece - total $98

Tell you what, I'll pay you $100 for every complete kit you can deliver to
my door step, no problems. The cash is waiting.

Oh, and when can I schedule that free installation ??? And do you have a
spring compressor you can loan me ???

Marty
aka "The Scammer"