Fuel Tank Update.

After tinkering with my Carbon Canistor last time, I suspected it
to be the culprit behind what wasn't bleeding off the excess
pressure within my gas tank when heating up. And it turns out to
be right so far. The gasoline smell is for the most part gone. The
only time that it will occur is around when the temp gague hits
about 220. The fans will kick on, cool everything down, and the
smell goes away. The same if I park the car when the temp is
high. When I get back in, the gas smell will be present, but as
soon as the engine runs for a couple of minutes, the smell goes
away.

Getting everything down to this point, the remaining smell should
be eliminated by giving the tank a once over, and replacing a few
hoses, and reseating the fuel pump seals. Last year back in
2000 when I first got the car, the problem was so bad that the I
had gasoline bubling out from the electrical connections on the
fuel sending unit. After a set of new hoses and what not, I'm
going to try and seal the sending unit with liquid gasket maker.
It's resistant to petrolium, and I can brush it on to get into all of
the nooks and crannies. Hopefully, that should take care of the
vapor leaks.

So far the fuel pump has been fairly quiet, but I'll need to do more
testing to know for sure. But if the noise continues, then I'll just
continue with the plan to eliminate the pick-up hose all together.
Even after a completly new ignition system though, I'm still
having a hot-start problem. So far I've narrowed it down to either
the accumulator, or the check vavle on the fuel pump. But I won't
know for sure untill I perform an actual physical test of the fuel
system pressures.

Just thought that I would share this with the group incase any
others might have simular problems.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"