Re: [DML] vendors and other scammers

In a message dated 6/6/02 10:21:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
checksix3@xxxx writes:

<< >>>Your comments are well thought out, worded and well accepted by
the DeLorean community who don't want to "mickey mouse" their car.<<<

>> No offense to those folks, but don't lump me in with the backyard
mechanics and college students who often can't diagnose and repair
(let alone re-engineer) the simplest of problems. While I do value
the vendors and some of the talent that posts here, the care and
feeding of this vehicle isn't exactly rocket science.
<<
<< I'll deal with the vendors when its in *my* best interests, not
theirs. They are, after all, not in this for some noble cause but to
take our money, as much as we will give them. >>

Checksix3@xxxx,
As a mechanically competent individual, with the ability to engineer and
fabricate a great deal of improvements into my DMC-12, I have to agree. I am
also a pilot and have experienced the joys and expenses of owning and
maintaining a classic cotton cover aircraft. I'm also a fairly competent
machinist.

It seems to me there is a full cross section of owners out there. Some that
don't have the vaguest idea of how an internal combustion engine works, to
those who can look at the car and see every system and its short comings.

The ones who don't know how it works, how to fix it, or where they can get
what they need, live in fear of loosing support from the vendor community.
And the vendor community, to a certain degree but not in all instances, plays
on the FUD factor (fear uncertainty and doubt) to keep their audience.
Granted there are some Delorean specific parts that are only available as
NOS. But to fear that at some point in time, a part will arbitrarily be
removed from the market out of spite is absurd. Vendors with an investment in
inventory must in order to stay in business compete and sell thier wares.

I've been on the list now for about 8 months. And although I see some
attempts to share information concerning generic parts and alternative cost
effective solutions, I also sense a certain amount of hostility from vendors
who seem to think that the list is thier own personal venue, sometimes taking
the opportunity to discredit or squelch alternatives.

I've had vendors approach me and encourage me not to post detail about
certain things. EFI upgrades for instance. Why? Because they wanted to make
sure that they had a crack at marketing something of thier own, rather than
having the owner community know how to do it themselves.

My recent post on shock absorber alternatives for instance. The condescending
nature of a reply, by a member who I believe has a vested interest in
marketing his own front and rear shock set up is a recent example. The front
shocks, as near as I can tell from their web site are Gabriel G63902 Gas
Ryder VST LT off a Nissan 1/2 ton 69-81. I just picked up a pair for $19.00
each at Autozone. The rears are Chevrolet Camaro all with multi-leaf rear
springs inc. Z-28, 1968-1969 All, Gas Ryder VST 69606 in a Gabriel, or Monroe
Sensa Track/ Napa Gas Charged Deluxe Sensa Track (NS5803), which is what they
appear to be selling. The Monroe Napa units sell for $24.95 a piece. Their
kit is $284.00 as I recall. So you get 4 over the counter shock absorbers
worth $90.00, and end up paying an additional $194.00 for two aluminum coil
spring seat collars (that your local machine shop can fabricate for less than
$50.00) and 4 spacers you can get from the hardware store for less than a
buck apiece. This is simple gouging.

Needless to say I went into the basement, and spent about an hour at the
lathe making the ride height adjustable coil spring seat collars I needed,
from about $4.00 worth of aluminum, and got the front spacers from Ace
Hardware.

I do have some fears that if I continue to disclose what I learn on the list,
that maybe I'll offend the only vendor that one day has something I need, and
that maybe I'll find myself blacklisted. But if that's ever the case, then
I'll know the Delorean is a marquee that I'd no longer want to be associated
with.

Here's a suggestion for the vendors. Market a shock spacer and collar kit.
One for the Monroes and one for the Gabriels. Maybe another for KYB's etc.
The only diff is the diameter. Sell it for about $39.95 a set. You'll make
some friends and gain a great deal of loyalty. One vendor in particular has
already gained mine in other ways. And the shipping times from N.Y. to Ohio
are only 2 days....

Jim 6147