Re: Usenet idea

One more issue...I noticed that Yahoo has been home to this newsgroup
for quite awhile. I was initially quite pleased with it at the time
I bought by D in March 2000. However, I would like to register my
dissatisfaction with Yahoo, and (perhaps be the first to) suggest
that we move it someplace else. I do not aspire to be an antagonist,
but I find it more and more difficult to browse through the mailing
list. Wading through advertisements, slow searches and page loads,
and annoying pop-ups all contribute to a very unsatisfactory
experience. Being a computer scientist, I have always been a fan of
usenet. At least then we could use Google Groups. However, I
realize that this may not be for everyone.

I am usually mildly irritated by Yahoo's random ad behavior, but I think it works quite well for our purposes. I am also a huge fan of Usenet and have always wished there was a DeLorean and/or Back to the Future newsgroup, but we'd have to go through a lot of hoops to get something like that to happen. Just going off the top of my head, you first have to submit a charter to the alt.config newsgroup, composed of a bunch of sysadmins who decide whether or not to let it pass. Then you have to send out a control message, which is a special message that goes out to all the Usenet servers on the Internet. I believe that even then, the local admin of a server can decide whether or not to accept a group on his/her server or not. Plus, another huge problem on Usenet is spam. We'd have to make sure that a D group is a moderated group, which might make our current moderators' jobs that much harder since they'd probably have to turn down a massive volume of posts from spammers and every other kook on the Internet. Even then, I'm not sure that Google Groups' method of handling binaries is as robust as Yahoo's web-based interface. A DeLorean newsgroup is certainly possible, but I don't think it's worth it considering the circumstances. I for one am still happy with my daily dmc-news digest in the mail.

Ian
VIN# anyone looking to sell for cheap?