Re: [DML] door adjustment problems

> the metal panel that the torsion bars go through. [snip]
> I'm thinking about putting some bolts in there and nutting it
> on the bottom side. I think there is too much force involved
> for a sheet metal screw to hold in the fiberglass for very long.

I just wanted to throw this out for the sake of clarification, since I
didn't understand it when I first read the explanation on the DMCNews site
(http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tbar.htm).

The sheet metal screws don't go through the top of the metal plate down into
the fiberglass (although doing this will help pull the plate down before you
put the other ones in). Once you have the metal plate in position, the
screws go through the *back* of the plate. That way you're exerting shear
force on the screw and not placing all the stress on the threads, which
would surely rip out of the fiberglass pretty easily.

If you've already got the headliner out, going through the top with bolts,
nuts, and washers certainly will work. But for those who don't have their
headliner out and don't want to remove it, the method described on the
DMCNews site should work just fine too.

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov 81)