Re: AC Compressor cycles

David and group, There are several thing which affect the cycling of
the A/C compressor.
#1. Is the Low pressure switch. Condition and adjustment.
#2. Amount of freon is the most common because you may tend to leak
down during the winter.
#3. The amount of air blowing over the evaporator core in the heater
box compartment.
#4. The Temperature of the air blowing over the evaporator core from
out side.
#5. The compressor will cycle more if the speed of the blower motor
is set on 1 vs 4.
#6. The temperature outside. Slower speed the more cycling.
It's like a clock working, it all depends on the conditions of all.
If the LP switch is ok, and your full on freon,and it's 80 to 90
degrees out side and you have the blower motor set on 4. Then mine
cycle about every 40 sec. But, If your low on freon, and the switch
isn't adjusted correct, it's 70 degrees out side and you have the
blower fan on 2, then you may cycle every 5 sec.
What's happening is the LP switch is trying to protect the compressor
from freezeing up by cycling the compressor on and off.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
P.S.There is a good technical explaination on page 334 of the
technical manual.