Re: Shift Points Manual Transmission

Yeah, that sounds about the same as on my car. Because of the wierd
ratio od the 5th gear, I treat my car like a 4-speed w/overdrive. I
don't shift into 5th until at least 63-70 mph. The low # being the
shift point for cruising, and 65+ for accelleration. Otherwise, I
just cruise in the other 4 gears. And for the lower gears, I use the
following shift points (it's easier to type just like the tach says
X100); Conservative 32RPM, Commuting: 38-42RPM, Aggressive: 48-60RPM.

In this case, aggressive would be an uncommon, if not rare situation
when the lane I'm in is ending, and I need to get ahead because
slowing down isn't an option. Otherwise, I wouldn't reccomend
shifting that late. 2 big reasons: 1. It will guzzle gas like you
wouldn't believe! 2. While this may be only on my car, it allows the
fan blades on the alernator to flex way too much in the direction of
the belt. I have had the problem of where I didn't have the car in
gear when shifting, and it popped into neutral. The RPMs jumped up to
over 70. Next thing I knew, the alternator chewed my belt, and I had
to replace it.

It's a plug I know, but if you want to really clean out you fuel
system, try a bottle of Berryman's Total Fuel System Cleanup. You're
not going to nessisarily be slammed into your seat, but it does
noticable improce accelleration and power.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "sgskbm" <SGSKBM@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Anyway, I noticed that if I was under 2,500 RPM's the car seemed
> to "lug" in 4th and 5th gears. If you are cruising and you are in
5th
> gear 2,500 RPMS seems to be around 60 or 65 MPH. If you
accelerate,
> at 2,200 to around 2,500 it will "lug" a little. I do not remember
if
> this is normal or not. At 2,500 RPMs and above no problem.
>
> The car runs great other then this issue and it performs well at
the
> top end, idles and starts great.
<SNIP>