Re: [DML] Low Side AC line

In a message dated 6/1/2002 2:02:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
jopalatinus@xxxx writes:

<< Is there any way to replace the lowside AC line without lifting the body
off the car? I took my car to an AC shop and the freon sniffing device found
leaks everywhere, including the fitting from the lowside line to the
compressor. Is there anyway to repair the hose on the car without removing
the body and all that? Or should I just grit my teeth and start tearing the
car apart?
Joe Palatinus
6808 17167 >>

Oops, i pressed the wrong button! here's my post again......

it is possible to replace the line - do this:
1. recover the A/C and equalize the lines at an A/C shop
2. bring the car home
3. cut the line behind the compressor and behind the dryer/accumulator
4. remove the two fittings, one on each component
5. drive your D to a tubes and hoses shop, a place that custom makes high
pressure lines for hydraulic equipment, A/C lines, etc. they will be able to
make you a new line for the A/C from stock.
6. the shop should be able to run a line w/o any fittings thru the body
easily enough. they will probably cut it long and remove the passenger tire,
jack the car up, and pull the line thru the front outside of the car, with
the other end hanging out the back of the body. show them the fitting that
came off the accumulator. they probably have a new one, it is not a rare
part. they can then crimp a new fitting onto it outside the car.
7. they will pull the line tight thru the other end of the car, bring it up
around to the compressor, and from the back of the car will be able to crimp
a new fitting onto the line and attach it to the compressor.
8. hopefully you were able to get all of this stuff done within a couple
hours or else you may need a new dryer/accumulator. so you should drive to
the shop a couple days beforehand and make sure they are willing to do this
job for you. once they see what to do, they should agree it is easy. i was
quoted about $70 for a new line with fittings installed on the car for the
high pressure side, with line that is built for A/C and can hold the smaller
134a molecule. while you are at it, you may want to do the high pressure
side as well and save yourself a day sometime in the future!!

i'm sure you can see that this is a much better idea than buying a new line
and lifting the body up!!!

if you absolutely can't find anyone where you live to do this job, Rob Grady
carries a new line with removable fittings that holds 134a. you could then
do this job yourself, but it is about twice as expensive.

any questions on the logistics of this, feel free to email me.
Andy