RE: [DML] Low Mileage Emissions Exemption

RE: [DML] Low Mileage Emissions Exemption

In New Jersey, the dyno test is not required on cars built before 1984. This information came from a DMV employee I spoke with when the new inspectionsystem was first started. The tester may not know this, but if you press the issue they should not require you to put your DeLorean on the rollers. This does not really stop the inspector from driving your car, because they still need to do the brake test.

A bit OT: I believe the tests in NJ will be changed again soon such that the Dyno will only be used on cars build between 1984 and 1996. For cars newer than 1996, they will simply hook up a diagnostic tool to the onboard ECUto look for stored trouble codes.

Of course there are a lot of political and legal things going on around this in NJ. After all, the whole system was developed with profit in mind- not the environment! Because the Whitman (Yea, the person who is now headingthe federal EPA) plan is such a fiasco, I am sure it will not be settled any time soon.

<SNIP>