Idle speed problems

Did you get this solved? Shouldn't be too difficult, its likely
mechanical binding, misadjustment, or electronic.

One at a time:

pretty tight now (i think mine was already adjusted forward). i also
adjusted the throttle linkage. right now it is all set up so that if
i have the pedal to the floor, the throttle hits the full throttle
switch, and when i let the pedal all the way back down, it is pushing
on the idle speed switch w/o any additional play on the switch.<<<

Be sure that when it hits the idle switch the throttle plates are
completely closed. Adjust that *first*, then set the idle switch.
When you are done, be asolutely sure there is no mechanical binding
in the system.

>> when i have a screwdriver pushed down on the idle speed switch,
my idle screw is adjusted so that i am running at about 800 rpm or
so. STILL, when i put my foot on the gas and let the pedal back
down, the idle doesn't kick down!!! it sits at about 1200 RPM.
however if the car is at say a stop sign, i can hit the gas with my
foot on the clutch and let it drop down fast, and THEN it will kick
down. i can't find any mechanical reason why is should be like
this. i would think the switch doesn't care if it is tripped hard or
softly - it is still being tripped.<<<

It doesn't care if tripped hard or softly, its just a contact
closure. After being sure the throttle plates are closed (using the
other adjustment screw nearby), set the idle switch screw to depress
the idle switch only enough to close it. You should still be able to
reach in there and push it more after it clicks. You don't want it
to "bottom" out, ony actuate. Bottoming it out will stress the
actuator attachment point. (Air cleaner is off to do this.) From what
you're saying, it appears your ISC systems is working and you have
binding or other issues.

>>>1. how far into the idle speed switch is too much? should the
screw be pushing on the switch all of the way, medium, or just enough
to take the tab off the switch?<<<

see above, just enough to close the switch.

>>>2. basically every adjustment you make throws something else
off. how do i set up the linkage so that when the pedal is fully
depressed i know that the throttle butterflies are wide open?<<<

Your problem is idle. We can worry about making full throttle and the
WOT enrichment switch after you fix the idle. Forget about it at this
point. (The WOT switch is not connected to the ISC system.)

>>>3. the shop manual says that the idle ECU recieves a ground when
the butterflies are fully closed. if my butterflies are off, perhaps
my ECU isn't recieving a ground all of the time unless i let the gas
off quickly, maybe hitting the butterflies hard and making it all
work? just a theory. how do i test it?<<< 4. how do i know if my
idle speed motor is working? under which conditions should which
things happen. i'm not proficient with a DVOM so if anyone has
any ideas, they will have to tell me how to hook everything up.<<<<

The idle switch basically "wakes up" the idle ECU by powering it.
The ECU has no ground point other than the switch, so its dead until
the switch is made. Can you use an ohm meter to measure the switch
closing? You can also use a voltmeter and it would be easier if you
knew how to do this. If not, here are two ways to test most of the
ISC system:

1) when the car is warm and idling, disconncet the idle switch. The
idle should increase. 2) With the car idling, grasp the throttle
spool and increase throttle only enough to lift off the idle switch
tab. Holding this position (about 1000-1200 RPM), use a screwedriver
to depress the idle switch actuator tab back down. Idle should
decrease. If either of these happens, its pretty much working.

>>>is there something else i'm missing? i'm inclined to believe my
butterflies are part of the problem. i really need someone to guide
me through complete adjustment of the throttle system.<<<

What you want is this: 1) throttle plates fuly closed. 2) Idle
switch "made" just enough to close it. The throttle stop screw is on
the plate, the idle switch screw is just depressing the switch tab
enough to actuate it. 3) No mechanical binding. Look inside the
throttle spool. The spring bends around the center pivot post. It
must not touch the post, only curve around it. If it touches, unhook
it and bend it so that is does not touch the center post. If the idle
switch is made everytime you you release the throttle, you have no
binding and this is not your problem.

To set it up from scratch:

1)Loosen both lock nuts on the throttle stop screw and the idle speed
switch screw and back the screws way off.

2) Disconnect the throttle linkage and allow the throttle plates to
close. Maybe disconnect the accel cable also.

3) To be sure they are closed, gently push on the ball attached to
the throttle plate linkage. You should see no more movement. If you
want to know for sure, you'll have to remove the pipe and eyeball
them.

4) Make sure the throttle spool is all the way back. Have some
slight slack in the cable. Make sure everything is all the way back
and nothing (throttle screw, idle screw, auto trans cable,
accelerator cable, etc) is holding the throttle plates open. Be sure
the entire thing is at "rest". Check for binding in the throttle
plates *and* the cables, spool, etc. Now is a good time to check for
binding because you have the linkage connecting the two seperated. If
all is OK, sdjust throttle linkage to fit and install it.

5) Turn throttle stop screw in until it just contacts the stop
plate. Watch it closely until it *just* starts to move the linkage.
(starts to open the throttle plates) Lock it in this position.

6) Adjust the idle speed switch screw to just actuate the switch.
(not touch it, but actuate it). Lock it in this position. Slightly
open the trottle by grasping the spool. Make sure the idle switch
clicks open. Release the spool and makes sure it clicks closed. Put
an ohm meter on the switch (after disconnecting the wires if you
wish, or at the ECU connector) to be sure it is opening and closing.

The throttle stop screw should contact the plate just after the idle
switch closes (or almost at the same time) with the throttle plates
closed. Bascially, the throttles and idle switch should be closed
with their stop screws taking the "load" so they are not forced
further closed by the linkage.

You likely have either binding or electrical problems. I'm betting
binding. Look inside at the spool return spring, I've seen that cause
binding before.

Want to remove the idle speed function for testing purposes?
You need to "break open" the feedback closed loop and go to manual
idle. (No need to do this if the ISC system test I mentioned above
checks out.)

1) Either unplug the idle speed motor, one wire off the switch or
unplug the idle speed module behind the drivers seat.
This will "fix" the ISC valve at whatever position it happens to be
in. (Its a rotary valve, kinda like a stepping motor.)

2) Remove the idle speed valve and plug both hoses or leave it
installed and pinch off or plugged the hose that leaves the idle
speed valve and goes to the manifold. Either hose will do, the one
towards the rear of the car is easier to get at. (Best to remove the
motor and plug both of them, pinching hoses is for Neanderthals.)

3) Open the idle adjustment screw on the manifold a few turns and
start the car. Make sure you're adjusting the idle speed and not the
air balance screws. See your manual. Warm the car up and set the idle
to about 800 to 1000 rpm. Doesn't matter, this is for testing.

You now control the idle using only this screw to let air into the
manifold. You now have "open loop" idle control. Manipulate the
throttle. If the idle consistantly recovers to *about* what you set
it at, then the problem is in the idle speed system (motor, switch,
ECU or wiring) If it *still* is not repeatable, check for binding or
problems in the linkages or cable. (If you have an auto transmision,
don't forget the govenor cable.) I suspect a throttle spool spring
touching the center post as described above. If it is touching,
correct that and put the spring back from the one notch you moved it.
Also lubricate the spool while you're in there.

Electrical problems could be as follows:

1) Bad ECU
2) Bad wiring
3) Bad idle switch
4) Bad cold idle thermistor.

There is a thermistor that monitors the coolant temp. It results in a
fast idle when the engine is cold (below 59F, as I recall). Btw, I
manipulate this circuit to idle up my car when the AC, headlights, or
fans are on. I have an adjustable pot so I can select the high idle,
it doesn't effect the cold idle setting.

This thermistor could be bad, but I doubt it. Other items to check are
CO adjustment (is the plug there?), idle and air balance screws (all
three should be closed) and binding in the air balance plate or
control plunger. With the car off, remove the air filter housing and
gently push down on the plate and see if it returns to the same
position. You will lose your fuel system resting pressure and flood
the engine some (may be hard to start immediately thereafter) so
don't do this too many times. (I doubt this is the problem however.)
Does the idle hunt when cold? This common problem is most often
caused by slight misadjustment of the CO setting.

You could have some weird problem, such as a funny tach signal. (Its
the "process variable" in the ISC system, what you're actually trying
to control) but I doubt it. At anyrate, its always best to open any
feedback loop to troubleshoot it.

Some time spent with an ohm meter/voltmeter at the ECU connector will
tell you if the sensors and wiring are OK. Let me know and I'll walk
you through it. Opening the idle speed feedback loop will tell you
alot, its difficult to troubleshoot closed loop systems as, if not
set up correctly, they tend to oscillate as they chase the setpoint.

All this should reveal the source of the problem and you can go from
there. After you get this figured out you can check the WOT
enrichment and auto trans kickdown (if you have one) switch settings.
Let me know and I'll offer more help if needed.

Good luck,

Gary