Re: Steering wheel removal

[moderators note: I think this subject has come pretty close to being beaten to death so with this post I'm ending this subject line. Bruce B. this week's moderator]

When I have a car with a steering wheel that is difficult to remove I
usually get them off in the following manner;
Put the steering wheel puller on and tighten up the screw so as to
put pressure on the wheel, not so tight as to strip out the puller
bolts,
Hit the puller screw with a heavy hammer, a couple of quick taps has
never failed to break the steering wheel loose. I have never seen
Lock-tite used on the wheel. The problem is the wheel is a taper-fit
onto the steering shaft and sometimes they can be stubborn getting it
to come apart. This trick also works on other taper fits like ball
joints and tie rod ends, the secret there is to have it held securely
so it can't move when struck with a hammer. I have also seen mechanics
use an air impact but the thought of stripping threads scares me too
much to do it that way.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757