Re: [DML] Auto tranny cooler

Way back in 83 I put a transmission oil cooler on my
automatic 81. It was the typical "extra radiator" and
mounted in front of the existing radiator.

I never had any transmission problems in the 70K miles
driven after the cooler was installed. HOWEVER, the
extra heat put out by it certainly contributed to the
"fuel tank" noise that became a constant irritant. I
also had to be much more alert to overheating on very
hot days. With today's triple core brass radiators
and the self-bleeding kits, that should no longer be a
problem.

Today there are much more compact heat exchangers that
should work quite well. If I were still driving an
automatic, I would certainly still have some sort of
transmission cooler.

Dick Ryan