Re: [DML] blown head gasket

a few quick checks (not perfect, but what is?)

el-cheapo vacuum gauge, watch for a regular dipping in the reading at idle,
and just off idle. (in neutral) Second, look in oil, any milky colour is a
likely indication of contamination... bad thing. At idle (check both at
cold, and hot temps) look for excessive water vapor in the exhaust, and the
smell of coolant. Last, with the engine warm, not hot, carefully remove
coolant tank cap, watch for any bubbles, and smell for exhaust odor in the
coolant, accelerate engine and watch to see if you get a bunch of bubbles as
you accelerate the engine suddenly. shut the engine off, and look for the
rainbow colours of oil floating on the coolant.

A gasket blown between the combustion chambers, and coolant passages is the
most common failure of a head gasket, but with the PRV's low compression it
would be hard to imagine. This type of blown gasket will cause very (I mean
very!) fast, and extreme rise in coolant temperature on a road test.

There may be a few other indicators someone else may remember....

A bad head gasket on a low perf motor like the PRV would make me think there
was a warped head/block... that would be not too good.

Which part of MN are you in?