rental hauling...hire a professional transport company for the same cost

rental hauling...hire a professional transport company for the same cost.

The price of renting the truck and trailer from Penske, plus total
miscellaneous costs along with possible towing damage, exceeds the cost to
have the professional exotic car transport companies ship you car.

When I shipped my car back to PJ Grady for more restoration work in 2000,
I rented a Penske truck. The truck was a brand Chevrolet box type, as was the
trailer. (I have a picture if anyone wants to see the DMC on the trailer.)

The journey was good, as was the experience. However, I must suggest that
you investigate the cost of hiring a professional transport company deliver
your car to your destination. In the long run, the cost is about the
same...without the aggravation.

The trucks have a speed governor. The maximum speed you can travel is 60
miles per hour. The average speed on Interstate 95 thru Maryland & the New
Jersey Turnpike is well over 80+ miles per hour. Cars and Semi-Trucks were
flying past me...needless to say it was a long drive from Washington, DC to
New York.
In addition, the DeLorean on the trailer caused too much unwanted
attention on the highway. The "Family Truckster" stationwagons with excessive
cargo blocking the drivers view and dangerous minivans mommies driving 55mph
in the fast lane & and just about everyone else almost had an accident trying
to see what kind of car I was shipping on the trailer.

Additionally, the rental truck & trailer towing setup is a poor
combination. The best method is the gooseneck or fifth wheel type of hitch
for car trailer transport. The fithwheel is better for car trailer towing
than the bumper and hitch set up, since the fithwheel is over the truck rear
wheels & the trailer has better weight distribution, e.g., tractor trailers
are built this way.
The bumper and hitch set up, found on the rental trucks, the slightest
steering wheel input, such as avoiding a pot hole, can create a disastrous
left & right trailer swing causing the truck to flip. Additionally, the cross
winds really pushed the truck hard.
In addition, rental trucks take a real beating from the public. The
trucks are notorious for catching fire and burning to the ground.

The truck rental costs, insurance, gasoline (they drink gas like water &
you must fill up when you return the truck or pay an additional charge), road
tolls, two days away from my business, one way from Maryland to Ronkoncoma
Long Island, New York, the cost for an airplane ticket home, plus any
miscellaneous costs, exceeded the cost from a professional exotic & classic
car transport company.

Best Wishes,
Michael Pack