courtesy/door light mod

Hey all,

i always wished there was a switch to turn off the door lights instead of
unhooking those darn switches. well tonight i made it happen.

i went to NAPA and ordered part# TG6031 which is a 20amp 12volt on/off
switch. cost me under $5. then i picked up some 1/4" spade connectors and
some wire. i pulled up my fuse block and snipped the purple wire on fuse 12,
which is the 10 amp fuse that controls everything i want to be able to
control. i then put butt-end connectors on the wires and connected two
lengths of wire about 30 inches long from the connectors. i ran the wires up
under the bit of carpet that folds over the lip on the front of the parcel
shelf above the lower cargo net hooks, and dropped the wires into the space
by the idle ECM behind the driver's seat, and put a female spade connector on
each wire. then i removed the door to the locked storage box and found a
good place in the metal face in the top of the box for my switch mount. i
took a 3/8" drill bit and drilled a hole thru it, and moved the bit around a
bit to make the hole a little bigger for the switch (my drill only holds 3/8
and smaller bits). then i put the switch in, tightened the collar on it and
added the trim piece, then plugged my spades in, and voila! now i have a
switch on my interior/door light circuit that i can easily get to when i want
to do work with the doors open, or i can use it for shows.

now some of you may say, why not just get a battery switch? well i have an
Alpine CD player installed and if i turn my battery off, i lose the settings
in it. this way, i can have my cake and eat it too. the switch is totally
concealed with the box closed so no one will have to see the switch or cry
about the originality.

however, if you doing electrical work on the car, i and anyone else would
recommend disabling the battery completely to avoid accidently shorting
something out. but this courtesy swtich will be great for most lighter jobs.

i have uploaded 4 pics of the setup to the photo section, found under the
folder 'courtesy...'.

Later,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx