Re: [DML] DeLorean Financiers?

Here's my personal opinion (which may sound harsh, but that's because it
is!!) You can take or leave at your pleasure. If you are in need of
financing a Delorean, you should think twice about it! Even if you know the
condition of the car and have good repair and maintenance records, it is
*still* going to cost alot in repairs and upkeep in ways that you can not
predict or anticipate... While you may have no problem with the monthly
payments if you finance the car, you may be disappointed that you can't pay
for necessary repairs to keep it on the road.

In my case, I bought a "very-good-to-almost-excellent" car two years ago for
$16,500. I was the third owner. It was owned by an original Delorean dealer
for the first 15 years of it's life and treated well. It had all the
updates and many systems replaced/update (cooling, A/C, etc). The stainless
was perfect. It's only been two years, and I've already sunk about $7,000
more into the car just keeping it in a good, safe, drivable condition - and
there are still things it needs (more optional/nice-to-have than required
for safety and reliability).

For a car where you are uncertain of its mechanical condition, figure at
least $2k-$3k per year in maintenance. If you've been reading the DML long
enough, I'm sure you're familiar with the $20k rule...

$price-of-car +$necessary-repairs= $20k. Give or take a little. All I'm
saying is just be aware of what you are getting into.

The only advice I can offer loan-wise is if you have another car which is
paid off, you could take a loan out against that, and use the proceeds to
buy the D. You could probably also use a Home Equity loan (deductible
interest!) as well.

Good luck!

-Hank #1619