Re: [DML] Sylvania Xenarc HID headlamp installation walkthrough

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Walter Coe wrote:

> I have had very poor luck in the past by connecting cables to batteries
> that were not designed to be connected to batteries. Heck, I've had a
> hard time even with connectors that were meant for batteries! A little
> bit of seeping acid will wreak havoc on them.

We'll see how it works. I generally keep those connections coated in a
little petroleum jelly to help reduce that problem. How this will work
long term remains to be seen of course.

> On your installation procedure, you mention that the "bridge" to keep
> the low beams on with the high beams is redundant because the DeLorean
> keeps the low beams on with the high beams anyway. This is not how the
> cars were wired from the factory. I'm suspicious that a previous owner
> may have modified your wiring to keep them on.

Aaaah. I should know by now never to make assumptions about everyone
else's cars based on mine. Previous owners have indeed made a number of
modifications to this car (most of them good, saving me money in the long
run) and this must be one of them. I will modify the instructions not to
make this incorrect assumption anymore. (Dave, you may wish to grab *yet
another* copy for the tech section. Sorry, this was unpredictable.)

> Did you notice the perfume that Sylvania added to the packaging material?
> For the price, they better smell good! :-)

No, actually I didn't. Next time I'm outside, I'll be sure to go sniff
the box.

> When I install my HIDs, I'm going to install an electrochromatic rear
> view mirror at the same time. This is the same model that came stock on
> my '99 GMC truck. To operate the built in thermometer, there is a
> thermistor that mounts in front of and below the radiator, so since I
> will be running wires in the area anyway for the HIDs, it makes since to
> install the mirror at the same time.

I was actually planning to combine the same two installs myself, but my
HIDs arrived really quickly and I got too excited to wait. The
electrochomatic/thermometer/compass mirror will hopefully arrive soon, and
I intend to write up a similar walkthrough for it.

-andrew