Re: my 134a conversion begins...

There are now several "drop in" replacements for R-12. Check with
either a large A/C wholesaler or a shop that specializes in A/C work.
They will be familiar with what is working well. Try not to convert to
R-134. The system was not desiegned for the operating pressures that
R-134 requires so it will loose approx 20% of cooling capacity. Also
it is incompatable with the lubricant used for R-12 so unless the
system is COMPLETLY dissasembled and cleaned of all of the old oils it
will cause trouble in the future. The origional "O" rings must all be
replaced or they will leak because they are not compatable with the
lubricants for R-134. The bottom line is R-134 although cheaper isn't
worth the trouble. The easiest answer is to fix all of the leaks and
refill with R-12. Although expensive it is still obtainable. The next
best alternative is one of the new "drop in" replacements.