Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

On the subject of old gas----Today's blended gasoline with all of
those expensive additives, especially the oxygenates does not "age"
well. Current recomendations are to use it within 6 months of
purchase. I think the best advice on storage these days is to
completly drain the fuel system. I have seen too many cars that were
never intended for long term storage that had fuel sit WAY too long.
It is easier to clean out a little condensation in the fuel tank then
shovel out the gunk from a full tank of old fuel. Even 6 month old
fuel has lost some of the more volitile components so until you can
burn it all up driving the car it won't run right. I had some 6 month
old gasoline mixed with 2 cycle oil for my trimmer from last year and
I couldn't get it to run until I dumped it and put fresh in. Seems
mixed gas ages even faster.
On a worse note gasoline is evolving. In the near future it may not
work in non fuel injected cars under certain conditions. With all of
the government requirements for reduced vapor pressure it will not
vaporize properly in carbureated engines. This isn't too bad for
Deloreans but will be a big problem for other old cars and small
planes, especially in colder areas.
David Teitelbaum