Re: Hot Start UPDATE--- Wiring Schematic

On 31-03-2002 Jason Jones wrote:

> I studied the Schematic some more and my first assumption
> I think is wrong.. It appears that on START a Pos voltage
> is sent to one of the connectors on the Cold Start Valve (CSV),
> the Thermal Timer and on to the Hot Start Relay which closes
> the circuit sending the Negative back to the CVS thus activating
> the CSV on every start... The Thermal Timer acts as a "Short"
> (Since there is resistance it is not a short but you know what
> I mean) if the Temp is considered hot it's "relay switch"
> Closes and "shorts out" or bypasses the CSV...
> thus preventing the CSV from activating.

ALLMOST right...
The Thermal Timer (TT) is IN SERIES with the ground for the CSV
and OPENS when hot (more than 35 Degrees C / 95 Degrees F).
This being hot can be either from the enginetemp being higher
or the heater inside reaching the aforementioned temperature.
If you look in your WorkShopManual in sections D:01:09 and D:01:10
there's an extensive explanation of the CSV/TT-system.

What the HotStartRelay (HSR) does is SHORT the TT to ground,
so the CSV fires every time AND als long as you crank your car.
>From what I understand, SpecialT's HSR has a switch you push when
you need the HSR to operate, that resets itself after use, so you
don't run the risk of flooding your engine when the CSV is NOT needed.
If you want to be sure, contact John Hervey, I'm sure he'll be
more than willing to fill you in.

What I think is a possibility too is to put a jumper or switch
between the UR and ground on the HSR-socket (which BTW resides in
the fuse/relay area and usually rests somewhere near the RMP-relay,
near the cabins' rear wall), so when you activate the switch the
CSV fires as long as you crank.

> I can not seem to find my Thermal Timer I read somewhere that
> someone said it was next to the coolant tank but I can find it
> anywhere.

You can find the TT in the PartsManual in section 2-2-1,
item 10, part# 102125. It looks like it's on the waterpump,
but since I can't check on my car right now, I'm not 100% sure.

> If this is right it seems I could simply switch off the Thermal
> Timer during hot starts since it appears to activate on each
> start depending on the Thermal Timer......

Well, as explained above you should actually short it, the HSR-socket
is THE spot to make the modification, since it was meant for this!

> Input please

Enough input for ya? ;-)
Good Luck,

JAN van de Wouw