Re: [DML] A/C cycling switch

In a message dated 3/29/02 11:59:05 AM Pacific Standard Time, mikeatk@xxxx
writes:

<< What can I say but wow! I do have to admit though that the one thing I
don't understand "Yahh Sure" is what you mean by the blower speed. Is that
the fan speed selected inside the car with the selector switch, positions 1
through 4?
( Yes, The faster the air moves over the AC Evaporator coil in the car, which
cools you, the less the compressor will turn on and thus the less the fans
will cycle because the compressor is cutting on and off. ) Try it for
yourself. Go out on the hwy and turn the air on and put the blower switch on
1. Then note the cycle on and off of the fans, then turn the blower to four
and give it a minuit to catch up, and the fans will cycle less. The more hot
or room temp air moves over the condensor in the car , then the less the AC
low pressure switch will cycle on and off trying to keep from over pressure
of the system. It's self protecting it's self. ) If you had a Fan Fix, you
could see the cycling on and off Via the light on the dash.

I have a FanZilla so I also only have one C/B. DMC Joe advised me after I
bought it that since the FanZilla already has C/B's there was no need for a
second as it would be redundant. The car still has the other C/B though. I
have a basic understanding of the cooling fans and there cycling with the
exception of some of the things you mentioned.
The other CB as you call it is for the AC blower motor in the car. It
protects the 3rd and 4th speed .1st and 2nd run straight off the switch.

Those being "blower speed affect the cycling, sensitivity of the otterstat,
how circuit breaker reacts, low and high pressure switches affect the
cycling.
None of the above as I explained it has anything to do with the otterstat.
That is strictly water temp and air in the line that turns the fans on.
Totally independent of the AC cooling system.

The last I tend to confuse with the freon level. I would think many if not
all members would benefit from an indepth explaination of the cooling fans
with the A/C on if nothing else. When the A/C is off is fairly straight
forward, or is it.

In my case, the fans have cycled about every 5 seconds since having the
freon system serviced. That's with the A/C on of course. DMC Joe says I
should replace the cycle switch now that I have re-adjusted it as they are
preset at the factory. I don't mind doing that but do wish the mistakes in
the article had been caught before I did this. If anyone has any advise and
would like to let me know off list that would be fine. I don't want to clog
up the list with the long explanations something like this might require.
The time to replace the LP switch is before you charge the system. Yes, It
could be bad or weak, but normally the pressure is what turnes it on and off.
Low on freon or not enough, or air moving over the condensor coil.

Go, out and try what I said a show yourself.
Email me back your results.
John